Thursday, November 4, 2010

Timing Is Everything

The Greeks had two key words for "time"--chronos and kairos.

Chronos denotes the passage of time.  That's why a watch is called a "chronometer."  It measures the inevitable flow of time, like a massive river.  55 years of my finite amount of chronos has slipped by.  How much do I have left?

Kairos denotes a moment in time.  An appointment with the doctor is written in my calendar at a specific time. My airplane ticket has a time-of-departure (kairos) written on it.  A groom asks his best man to "get him to the church on kairos." 


Kairos can be seen positively as "the opportune moment."  But negatively as "the moment of crisis."  Opportunity and crisis.  If I miss the appointed time, it is gone forever.

So what's the point?  How much of my chronos is wasted because I am not recognizing the kairoi that are presenting themselves to me?

Our modern lives are full of time-wasters. And those time-wasters are becoming more and more high-tech. TV, the Internet, texting, video gaming, etc., etc. Involvement in so many things tends to numb my spiritual senses to God's promptings.  Those kairoi keep slipping by as the chronometer keeps ticking.

Are you making the most of your chronos?  Are you paying attention to God so that you don't miss those kairos moments?

No comments:

Post a Comment