Thursday, November 3, 2011

Hanging In There

I've gone through a lot of shaking this year. Five of our members have passed away, plus my own father and two former co-workers at the Anaheim Vineyard. Quite a few people have left our fellowship for various reasons. A few of them were understandably frustrated with me during this time of shaking. But more of them simply moved out of the area.

In Hebrews 12, the writer comments on Haggai's prophecy about God shaking Israel. He says that God shakes everything so that the things that need to be removed are removed and so that the things that are supposed to remain permanently, remain.

Despite all the loss, I am greatly encouraged. I sense that God is indeed on the move. That the losses are a kind of pruning that will result in growth. I have even found myself feeling an unexplainable joy as I pray about all these things.

My wife loves roses. When it comes time to prune her rose bushes, she seemingly hacks them back to nothing. If I didn't know better, I would think they were dead. Just a gnarled stump with a couple of thorny sticks. Yet, when spring comes, the bushes come to life and the resultant display of blooms is spectacular every time.

I think of 1 Cor. 15: 58:
"Therefore, my dear brothers [and sisters], stand firm. Let nothing move you. [Hang in there--sit tight.] Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."

Here, Paul is saying, with all the deaths of believers, don't get discouraged. The resurrection is a real hope that means your work for the Kingdom is not a waste of time.

I began blogging a year ago and have kept it up with some consistency. Perhaps the rhythm of putting my thoughts down in pixels has helped me through the shaky times. I hope you have been blessed, challenged or comforted by something I've written. And I am going to continue to write. If you are touched, please share your thoughts with me or forward the link to someone else who might be blessed as well.

And remember--hang in there, because your work in the Kingdom is not a waste of time.

4 comments:

  1. The Mystery of time in Ecclesiastes 3. . . . I don't think it was written to be a hit song :) but a reminder of life's constant changes. Without them we cannot grow and learn.
    I too, am and will be grieving these losses as most of these folks were the people closest to me. Although my relationship with those who chose to leave has not changed, I still feel loss. I also feel joy. I find comfort in knowing they have found a place where their individual needs can be met and/or. . . .the Lord simply said: I need you over here now. . . time to go.
    I remember coming to WVVC in 2006. On my second visit, I heard the Lord say: I need you to be here now. Like a teenager, I argued and pleaded with Him. No Lord! The church is to small, the people are not like "my kind of People" and I don't want to leave LBAC and my home and son in Long Beach. Contrary to what people may think, I left my home and my church. Not because of Will Smee. . . .but because it was His Will. As you may remember the first two years were difficult for my daughter and I. Because of our faithfulness and TRUST in Him. . . .God has provided more than I could haver ever dreamed of. The reason He brought me here, was to learn. In that learning (and still) I grew. Our Father knows what we need when we need it.
    I had the opportunity to visit a couple of other churches this year as well as stay connected with my past fellowship, not because I am looking to go, but I love to see what God is doing!
    Is the grass greener somewhere else? Maybe. But the Kingdom has the greenest grass and I am going to be where He wants me.
    I pray for you often Mark. I pray that you do not take it personally when people go. People and their needs change. Unwavering leadership is a blessing, and at times a difficult job.
    And remember: we are hanging with you because OUR work in the Kingdom is what we are called to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are exactly right about how writing your thoughts helps you get through things. I did it a lot on my first tour to Iraq with the military, the stress overseas builds quick, this was a good reminder for me to start doing it again so I don't let things get me down here!I was just reading a book talking about how God always has a plan and it may be crappy sometimes, but in his time it will come together and things will work out wonderfully. I know because WVVC had a huge impact on me. It was the first community in a long time that I really felt was judgement free, although I have a million miles to go, I am back on the right path. It was rough getting back but God is good! You guys will be in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bryan--you may be a long way away, but you are in our thoughts and prayers. In essence, you are still a part of our community. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a lot to be said for "potted plants." But, they are quite limited in long term fruit yield and their root system can only go to the edges of the pot. For maximum yield we've got the "tree planted by streams of water, which bears fruit in season and the leaves never wither." To be a tree planted by the rivers of living water is a desire God put in my heart. For once in a long time I'm beginning to see the signs of a burgeoning root system and two seasons of fruit already. Glory to God! Today a question arose - Is this tree just the beginning of something that will continue to grow and develop right into eternity? My heart is telling me it's just a small beginning of what God has in store.

    ReplyDelete