Saturday, December 17, 2011

Learning From the Herdmans


Another favorite novella that I try to read every year is The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, by Barbara Robinson. I have even read it aloud to a couple of groups. It was a made-for-TV special with Loretta Swit a couple of decades back and is available on DVD. But to get the full impact, read the book. It should take less than an hour to read--but is well worth it.

At the center of the book is another redemption story. The six Herdman children are the unredeemed rat-pack who terrorize any child who has the misfortune of attracting their attention.

Barbara writes the book from a terrorized little girl's perspective. When little brother Charlie is asked at church to share something he is thankful for at the Thanksgiving service, he shares, "There are no Herdmans." Although this is heartfelt, it strikes at the heart of the dilemma of church life. If we build a safe and loving environment where we can escape from the world, does that mean we exclude the Herdmans? Aren't the Herdmans exactly what the church is there for? As Karl Barth, the early 20th century theologian put it, church is "community for the sake of the world."

Of course, the Herdmans show up to church looking for free snacks. And when mom is stuck running the annual Christmas Pageant, put on by the Sunday School, the Herdmans take over all the important roles, including Imogene as Mary. The scandal of it all! A telephone whisper campaign begins, threatening to call off the pageant entirely. But of course, the play is staged with the Herdmans there to do their part.

But the book helps us to look at the Christmas story through the fresh eyes of the uninitiated. And it gives the congregation the same opportunity. And we get to witness the power of the story of God's entrance into our world, like a great tsunami, as it washes over and transforms the Herdman family.

Why not try reading the ancient story from Luke and Matthew as if it was the first time you had ever heard it? A poor young couple, clinging to their belief in God's word to them, in spite of the scorn of a skeptical world, face the desperate journey to Bethlehem. They camp out with the animals as Mary goes through labor and childbirth in very trying circumstances. Yet, God reveals himself via a host of angels to the local shepherds and then brings worshipers from exotic lands with extravagant gifts. The child, who outwardly looks like any other baby, is revealed to be special--in fact the unique Son of God Himself! God's ultimate gift to us.

And hear the shout of little Gladys Herdman, playing the Angel of the Lord, ringing in your head--"Hey! Unto you a child is born!"

2 comments:

  1. I give away at least two copies of this book every year, and I am always surprised when I meet people who have never read it. It especially speaks to me because I teach in a school full of Herdmans where my rules and ideas don't necessarily make sense to my students. This book reminds me once again to look through the eyes of those I am trying to reach and be other-centered, and ultimately to be humble enough to learn from them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't get a copy of the book but was able to find the movie after searching for a month. Just finished watching it this afternoon. When I first saw the book cover it reminded me of the "Silent Angels" in Dr. Who. Who knows, perhaps they got their idea from "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever."

    The Herdmans shocked me into memories of my own pre-adult experience - my mischievousness (actually called juvenile delinquency) was more sophisticated. The Herdman-kind usually ended up in juvy hall very quickly while my kind were shipped off to military academy. At a super crucial moment the Lord intervened in my life and put me on His path, initially, as a Jesus Freak. The past 40+ years, He's been eliminating the "Freak."

    It was very entertaining, but I was disappointed in the ending - a little weak. That's probably why I need to read the book and will get a copy next time I'm back in the states. Appreciate the post. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete