Friday, January 6, 2012

Wrestling With God


I did something prophetic for the New Year: I shaved my beard. It made me feel a little like Ezekiel: "Now, son of man, take a sharp sword and use it as a barber's razor to shave your head and your beard" (Ez. 5: 1a).

Symbolically, I removed something that represented the past so that I could have a fresh start. Goodbye, 2011; Hello, 2012. I think I needed to leave a lot of what was difficult about last year behind me.

For the Passover celebration every year, Israel was instructed to remove all yeast from their home: sweep it away. Yeast represents sin. Get it out of there so you can have a fresh start.

I feel God calling our church corporately and me as an individual to focus on the next phase of our journey with Him. Like Jacob who fled from his father-in-law, Laban, and returned to the promised land, only to face the daunting prospect of an angry brother, Esau.

God used the opportunity to strip Jacob of his self-reliance, deception and manipulation. He jumped him at the Jabbok and they wrested all night. (Gen. 32: 22-32)

It wasn't really a fair fight. I mean, God just needed to touch Jacob's hip and it was wrenched out of the socket. But Jacob would not give up. "I won't let go until you bless me!" (Gen. 32: 26b).

And I think God loves that kind of chutzpah. There's not a really good English equivalent: audacity, gall, guts, nerve. In the face of God himself, Jacob still fights for the blessing.

And God gives it to him in the form of a new name. Israel. No longer will he be "he grasps the heel--that is, he manipulates to get ahead." Instead, his name will be "he wrestles with God." That is, he still fights to get ahead, but with God, the One who can REALLY bless.

How about you? Are you wanting God to bless you this New Year? Let go of trying to get what you want through manipulation and get into it with God. Begin to wrestle with Him until you get your answer. You may end up walking with a limp--but maybe then you will remember where the blessing really comes from.


3 comments:

  1. ok...a new look, that's cool...it is funny thinking about Jacob wrestling with God...pictured a small three-year boy wrestling with his daddy...the "hip wrenched out of the socket" must have been very painful. And later, perpetually humbling...don't know why, but one thing just keeps coming to mind - after the resurrection, Jesus still had scars from His crucifixion, not sure if He still does...wonder if we will retain certain scars from our experience walking with the Lord in this life...regardless, really don't mind walking with a limp as long as i'm walking with Jesus

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. So hard...but so true. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you used the word symbolically. Seems when the New Year rolls around people want to change their outward appearance. Lose weight, quit this that or the other thing, when we need to be renewed and for some. . .changed on the inside. Until the inward change is in process. . .the outward stays the same.
    And for others. . . .The New Year brings hope and promise. I pray that all will know that Jesus came to give us the New Year season whenever we need it. . . just for the asking :)
    I can't shave my beard. . . .but I think changing a piece of my outward appearance. . . .and seeing that in the mirror everyday will remind me; to keep working on the inside.

    ReplyDelete