Thursday, March 1, 2012

When the Cloud Lifts


We're told at end of Exodus, and then again in Numbers that "Whenever the cloud lifted from above the Tent, the Israelites set out; whenever the cloud settled, the Israelites encamped. At the Lord's command the Israelites set out, and at his command they encamped" (Num. 9: 17-18a).

Then, in Numbers 10, the LORD instructs Moses to make two trumpets that will be used as a signal to the whole camp for various things, one of which was to announce that "The cloud has lifted, time to move." Kind of a biblical version of a robo-call or group text.

Well, in the last months, it was apparent that God was doing something in our church and then, last week, He blew the trumpets and signaled for us to move.

I thought I was too old to plant a church when I did it at age 45. Now that I am approaching 57, I have decided that "He's God; and I'm not." God has called us to wrap up the activities of "Walnut Valley Vineyard Church" at the end of March and begin the preparations to move just 10 minutes away in North Orange County (probably Brea). We will be meeting in small groups during the preparation for a new church plant, hopefully to have a public launch in September.

Immediately after I had decided that this was indeed what God was speaking to me, and I spoke it out loud to my wife, things started to happen to confirm that this was indeed God's will.

First, a seemingly chance encounter with Pastor Kwan of the Vineyard of Harvest (a predominantly Chinese sister congregation about 3 blocks away) led to him telling me that they were looking for space for their new Cantonese congregation. I had been looking for someone to take over the lease--and now we can bless this growing Vineyard church as they reach the increasingly Asian community around us.

Second, a friend of mine who pastors a Vineyard church in Florida called me, seemingly out of the blue, but saying that God had laid me and our church on his heart. He was calling to find out what was going on. Early in his ministry career, I had called him twice at crisis moments. I guess there are people who are somehow linked in the Spirit (like some kind of spiritual Facebook friend) and God used him to confirm that it was indeed Him who was leading me.

And all of a sudden, I have a combination of energy and peace that comes from knowing God is moving and we are moving with Him. But I am also feeling the grief of loss, know that we will not just be leaving a building behind, but people who are not called to join us will begin saying goodbye.

How was it to walk for 40 years with Moses, not really being able to settle down anywhere? Not knowing if the encampment will last one day or ten years? That is what the Kingdom of God is like. We are "strangers and sojourners" here, living in tents and "looking forward to a city whose builder and architect is God" (Heb. 11:-10).

Are you settled in so much that you can't move when the trumpets blow and the cloud lifts? Be ready for His call when it comes.

5 comments:

  1. Praying for "ALL GOOD THINGS" for you and the people God has chosen for you to pastor. Love you brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, appreciate this...after your last post (about Paul and the shipwreck) God started doing something with me too...love the picture of the cloud of glory...not sure what's next but it will be interesting to see what God has planned for me out here...in the mean time I'm putting all into my classes and students, praying that God will be glorified...if I ever get back to L.A. I will visit the new church. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and the Shofar blew. . . .praying for new beginnings, renewed hearts and God's blessing on your new vision. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. and the Shofar blew. . . .praying for renewed hearts, new beginnings and your new journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, awesome to hear how God is always using you Mark. Let us know where you land. We welcome you to Brea if that's where the Lord wants you! We're praying for you guys and love you too (but hey you already knew that)...

    ReplyDelete