Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The One Who Exists

Prior to reading this blog, you may want to read last week's entry: "What Is In a Name?" This one is a continuation.

The Divine Name, Yahweh, was revealed to Moses at the burning bush:
Moses said to God [Elohim], "...suppose...they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them? God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM [or I will be who I will be]. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM [or I will be] has sent me to you.'" (Ex. 3: 13-14).

Names in the Bible are significant and usually tell you something about the nature and character of the person. In fact, the naming of babies is often prophetic. For instance, Jacob was named for the way he was born. Although his twin brother, Esau, was born first, Jacob's hand was found to be grasping the heel of his older brother (Gen. 25: 24-26). Thus his name means, "he-grasps-the-heel." But his name also means, "the supplanter, or deceiver." And thus Jacob's name is prophetic for his destiny in supplanting his older brother and deceiving his father into giving him the blessing and inheritance of firstborn.

The changing of Jacob's name to Israel occurs after he is stripped of all his possessions and comes face-to-face with God (Gen. 32: 22-32) , the One who holds the real key to his blessing. Thus his new name is given, which means "he wrestles with God." A significant life transformation. No longer will he be known as the one who deceives and manipulates to get ahead. Instead, he is engaged in a struggle with God for his blessing and God promises that he will prevail.

The Name of God is very important in telling us something about who this God is.

First, since the root of the Name is the common verb, "to be," we can say that Yahweh is the God who Really-Is. That is, all other gods are fakes and are not real. Yahweh, as "the God who Really-Is," is a polemic against all other gods who are "Really-Nots".

Second, it says something about one of the key attributes of Yahweh. He is the One who Exists as an essential attribute. That is, He exists and it is impossible for Him not to exist. And since He is the Existent One, then all other things receive their existence from Him. He is the Creator, all else is created. This sets Him apart as Wholly Other than all created things.

Finally, He is the source and end of all else. "I am" or "I will be" means that it is His will that is supreme. Thus, He holds dominion over all else. Thus, the "Kingdom of God" is the ultimate resolution of all rebellion against Him. That is, His will ruling supreme is the inevitable conclusion of all history.

Spend some time meditating on The Name and see where it takes you.

P.S. This is my 100th blog entry! I began writing in October 2010 and I have found it to be helpful in expressing my thoughts. I hope you have benefitted. Please think of posting a comment to give me feedback or passing the link along to others. Also, if there is a topic you are interested in hearing me write on, please let me know. Blessings and here's to the next 100.

20 comments:

  1. Hey Mark,

    YAY on #100!!!! I want to thank you for these posts. I look forward to reading them every time that you post. So keep it up, thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does your site have a contact page? I'm having trouble locating it but, I'd like to send you
    an email. I've got some ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great blog and I look forward to seeing it improve over time.
    Feel free to visit my page - acne herbal medication

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link to our website, The Journey: a vineyard community, takes you to more information and contact. My email is mmaki@TheJourneyVineyard.org and I welcome any suggestions.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Manny thanks,
    However I am experiencing difficulties withh ʏour RSS.
    I d᧐n't understznd thе reason ᴡhy I can't subscribe to it.

    Iѕ there аnyone elsе getting the same RSS issues?
    Аnyone that knowѕ the solution ѡill you kindly respond? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's awesome to pay a quick visit this site and reading
    the views of all mates about this piece of writing, whike I aam also keen of getting know-how.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks on your marvelous posting! I actually enoyed reading it, you mignt be a great author.
    I will make sure to bookmark your bog and will eventually come back in the future.
    I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great work,
    have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Howdy, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just curious if
    you get a lot of spam comments? If so how do you reduce it, any plugin or anything yyou can advise?
    I get so much lately it's driving me crazy so any help is very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the Google spam filter but still review every comment. I usually refrain from posting a comment only if there is obvious self-promotion or the comment does not seem appropriate.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful beat ! I would like tto apprentice whikle you amend your site, how can i subscribe
    for a blog website? The account helped me a acceptable deal.
    I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright cclear idea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just want to saay your article is as amazing. The clearness in your post is just nice and i can assume you are an expert
    on this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to grab your feed too keep uodated with forthcoming post.
    Thanks a milliion aand please carry on the rewarding work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a material of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious know-how regarding unexpected feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Valuable information. Lucky me I discovered your site by accident,
    and I'm stunned why this twist of fate did not happened in advance!
    I bookmarked it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful work! This is the type of info that should bbe shared around the web.

    Disgrace on Google forr not positioning this put up higher!
    Come on over and talk over with my website . Thank you =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire actually
    enjoyed accoun your blog posts.Any wway I'll be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently
    rapidly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoa! This blog looks just like my oldd one!
    It's on a totally different subject but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Superb choice of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey there! I know this iss sort of off-topic but I needed to ask.

    Doees managing a well-established webste such as yours require a large amounnt of work?
    I'm completely new to operfating a blog but I do write in my diary on a daily basis.
    I'd like to staqrt a blog so I can share myy personal experience and views online.
    Plewase let me know if you have any recommendations or tips
    for new aspiring blog owners. Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This paragraph is in fact a nice one it helps new the web users, who are wishing for
    blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  16. continuously i used to resd smaller articles that as well
    clear their motive, and that is also happening with this paragraph which I am reading at this
    place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not suure exactly why but this weblog is
    loading extremely slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or iis it a problem
    on my end? I'll check back later and see iif thhe problem still exists.

    ReplyDelete