Thursday, May 25, 2017

Bear One Another's Burdens

In Galatians Chapter 6, Paul says two seemingly contradictory things within a few verses:

"Bear one another's burdens and, in this way, fulfill the law of Christ" (Gal. 6:2).

"...for each one should carry their own load" (Gal. 6:5).

So which is it Paul? Are we supposed to bear one another's burden or are we each to carry our own load?

Of course both statements are true. Paul is teaching us something about life together in the body of Christ. And by understanding each statement and how they fit together we should do a better job of fulfilling the law of Christ, which is of course, to love one another.

In verse 2, the underlying Greek word means "weight." That is, we are to help one another with the oppressive burdens of life. In context, it might expressly mean the temptations and the results of sin.
Thus, when "someone is caught in a sin, you who are 'spiritual' should restore them gently" (vs. 1). That is, rather than shunning those who are struggling, we are to gather around them with love and support. Notice that we are to do it "gently" (which is a fruit of the Spirit mentioned in 5:23).

Paul adds a warning that when we are providing this kind of loving support to one another, those who may be in a spiritually strong place are not to become puffed up, prideful, or develop a "better-than" attitude. Such an attitude would not fulfill the "Law of Christ".

Instead, we should constantly "test our own actions" (vs. 4). Why? Because we are subject to temptation and to sin just as much as anyone. When we compare ourselves to another Christian, we are using the wrong measuring stick. Such comparison leads only to our self-deception. "Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else" (vv. 4-5). The Greek word "take pride" means something more like, "be contented" in themselves alone. As Paul says in Romans 12: 3, "Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment..." In other words, rather than becoming puffed up, develop a truthful and healthy self-image, based on God's standards, not based on unhealthy comparison to other people.

So we come to the second word for "load." The Greek word has the idea of an assigned task or a specific cargo. Some have used it for a "soldier's pack." No one else can take the jobs that have been assigned to me away from me. Only I can fulfill my ministry calling. Only I can be responsible for my relationship with God. Only I can repent, confess my sins and ask God for forgiveness. Only I can truly know the status of my own heart.

I should never do for someone what they are capable of and responsible for doing for themselves.

If I try to do for others what God has assigned to them, I am playing God in their life. And guess what? I make a pretty pathetic god. When I try to do His job, I will not only fail, but I will surely bring hurt and pain to everyone else involved. A soldier must carry their own pack with their own supplies into battle. Otherwise, what happens when they are cut off in a firefight?

Every ship must bear its own cargo. If I try to take your cargo plus my own, my ship will sink and all the cargo will be lost.

So, let's truly bear one another's excessive burdens. But remember, each person must also bear their assigned load.



No comments:

Post a Comment