Friday, February 28, 2020

Are Christians Promised Protection from Plagues?

As we contemplate the current societal anxiety over the possibility of declaring the COVID-19 (Corona virus) a pandemic, it behooves Christians to take a step back and remember who our God is. 

One of the most beloved of the Psalms is 91: 
“He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. 
I will say of the LORD, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust’” (Ps. 91:1-2).

These opening two verses use four names for God: Elyon(Most High), Shaddai(Almighty), Yahweh(I Am—the personal/covenant name of God), and Elohim(God). This sets the tone for the rest of the Psalm. The one Almighty God and Creator of the Universe is ultimately our safe refuge whenever we are threatened in any way.

It reminds us of other wisdom passages. “Trust in the LORD with all your heart…” (Pr. 3:5-6). “Do not fret…Trust in the LORD…Delight in the LORD…” (read all of Psalm 37). “The salvation of the righteous comes from the LORD; he is their stronghold in time of trouble” (Psalm 37:39). And of course, “Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me” (Ps. 23:4).

The Psalmist in 91 asserts that, if we place our trust in God and take up shelter in His protective presence, then we will only observe God’s judgment as it falls on the world around us. But we will know peace.

But this begs a big question, “What about Christians who suffer during times of distress? Is God showing favorites? Do we charge people with not having enough faith if they get sick? With not trusting God good enough? What if they die? Where is God when we suffer?”

I love the testimony of the “three Hebrew children” as my Sunday school teachers used to call them. Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-Nego—if you ever have boy triplets, consider these names, huh?—were about to be thrown into the fiery furnace by Nebuchadnezzar for not worshiping his image. This is what they said, “’If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from Your Majesty’s hand. But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up’” (Dan. 3:17-18).

God is like a protective parent who is reliably there for us when we call to Him, even when we have an “owie.” Since we live in a fallen world, we might be affected by what is going on around us, but He is always there to carry us through the storm. “Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?” (Rom. 8:35). “ For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Rom. 8:38-39).

Even death will not ever, in any way, separate us from God’s love.

Very much like Romans, Psalm 91 ends with God speaking a series of direct affirmations to anyone who places their trust in Him. “’Because he loves me,’ says the LORD, ‘I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation’” (Ps. 91:14-16).

Place your trust in Jesus, let go of anxiety, and experience the shalomof God.

3 comments:

  1. This is very comforting, Mark, and truth! Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very comforting, pastoral exhortation. But often we find folks, "claiming" these scriptures as form of explicit immunity. I agree fear is bad. But you would agree that in the current circumstance wisdom and caution are merited?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. Wisdom and caution are always merited, especially when you can easily find seemingly opposite viewpoints within scripture. For instance, when the Apostle Paul himself has to accept the answer of "no" to his prayers for his own healing.

      Delete