Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Deep Cries Out To Deep


I love singing the worship song, "All Who Are Thirsty." It pulls out of me a desire for more of God in my life.

Many worship leaders will repeat the bridge over and over: "As deep cries out to deep; As deep cries out to deep..."

This is a phrase from Psalm 42: 7. I used to think that it meant my deepest heart cries out to God's deepest heart. But what does it really mean?

In the context of the Psalm, the idea is that of being overwhelmed by the circumstances of life, which God allows to come crashing over me from every side. The breaking waves on one side and the crashing waterfall on the other.

Recently I had the opportunity on my vacation to sit still next to several thundering, roaring waterfalls. I could feel the vibrations of the crashing water through the souls of my feet. I imagined how powerless it would feel to be swept away in their relentless and powerful current.

Life can feel that way sometimes. Yet, the Psalm seems to indicate that it is God Himself who is the source of the roaring, crashing waves and breakers.

Despite the roar of life's seemingly overwhelming circumstances, God's still, small voice speaks to our hearts. "Then God promises to love me all day, sing songs all through the night! My life is God's prayer" (Ps. 42: 8, The Message).

And so the repeated chorus in both Psalm 42 and 43: "Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will (still continue) to praise him, my Savior and my God" (Ps. 42: 11).

1 comment:

  1. That was so applicable to my wife and I today. Thanks for that

    ReplyDelete