Thursday, July 21, 2011

Receiving Appreciation


I had the shock of my life this last Saturday night. My church planned a surprise party for me which they were able to keep a complete secret from me. When I walked into the church sanctuary to check out why the doors were wide open, a large group of people shouted "Surprise!" and I nearly jumped out of my skin.

My initial thought was, "But it's not my birthday. What is the surprise for?"

It turns out that, on the weekend of the church's 11th Anniversary, they simply wanted to hold an "Appreciation Service" for me.

Now, if I had known that this idea had been floated, I would have nixed it. My reaction would have been something like: "I don't need to be appreciated, the ministry is reward in and of itself."

And as I sat up front in a place of honor, I felt extremely uncomfortable at first.

But I decided to simply accept the outpouring of affection for me and bask in the warmth of sincere expressions of gratitude and love. Besides, I really didn't have much choice. (Is this what it might feel like to get to listen in on your own funeral?)

As the evening wore on, I kept watching the looping photo-album being projected on the screen. I realized just how many weddings I had performed for people in that room. And how many times I had visited people in hospitals, or did a funeral for a loved one, or listened to their struggles and prayed with them. In fact, the biggest part of my life has been poured into the lives of others.

It is true that pastoral ministry has rewards of its own. So, when people want to thank me, my reaction has been to say, "I am only an unworthy servant; I have only done my duty" (Luke 17: 10).

Yet, Paul also says: "The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching" (1 Tim. 5: 17).

Rather than feeling puffed up, I actually feel rather humbled. And I feel a renewed understanding of my role as "Pastor Mark" in the lives of my flock.

Have you shown your appreciation to your pastor lately? Gratitude is good for both of you.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, I appreciate you and you're not even my pastor. :) Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete